Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Condo

Once figuring out that The Fort is where we wanted to be, finding a fully furnished condo came next.  There were quite a few choices since lots of the units here are purchased by investors and rented out, especially to expats.  Many we saw were really nice inside, but had little or no view.  Others had a great view, and a price to go with it.  We finally found a brand new 2 bedroom unit that was just being completed that suited us well on the 16th floor of The Sapphire Residences.

Like in the states, newer condos are not very big.  Ours is not quite 80 square meters, or about 850 square feet.  In the 2nd bedroom, there's barely space to walk around the queen sized bed.  But we do have a maid's quarters with its own bath, something that commonly comes with 2 bedroom condos and bigger in this country!  It makes for great storage and a place to put unruly guests.   

Rents in this neighborhood, probably among the highest in the country, were a bit of a surprise to me.  We're paying 70,000 pesos a month, about $1,600 at today's exchange rate.  Cheap by our San Francisco standards, but expensive for the Philippines.  But with a pool, gym, parking, furnishings and a great location, I find it worth it.  

I've always wanted to try out condo living, and I'm really enjoying it, but the jury is still out at least for me as to whether or not condo living is for me.  I miss having a garden and green space I can putz around in, and there's not a good area to set up space for projects.  But I sure do love the view!


CLICK HERE for more photos of the condo.

No comments:

Post a Comment